Watch me roll!

Watch me roll!

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mitochondrial Disease

The Monday before Nathan died he had a muscle biopsy to test for Mitochondrial Disease. I talked with his pulmonologist on Friday and he confirmed that he had consistency with Mitochondrial Disease. They are sending the muscle tissue for further testing.

Following is some info about Mito from www.mda.org

Definition - a group of diseases that affect the mitochondria, tiny energy factories found inside almost all cells, and interfere with the function of muscles. The group is comprised of Kearns-Sayre syndrome (KSS) ; Leigh's syndrome ; mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome (MDS) ; mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis and strokelike episodes (MELAS) ; myoclonus epilepsy with ragged red fibers (MERRF) ; mitochondrial neurogastrointestinal encephalomyopathy (MNGIE) ; neuropathy, ataxia and retinitis pigmentosa (NARP) ; Pearson syndrome; and progressive external ophthalmoplegia (PEO).
Cause - a defect in either a mitochondrial gene or a gene in the cell nucleus that affects the functioning of the mitochondria
Onset - varies according to disease

Symptoms - vary according to disease; in general, nervous system impairment, eye problems, cardiac abnormalities, skeletal muscle abnormalities, and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
Progression - varies according to disease
Inheritance - if defect is in a mitochondrial gene, inheritance is from mother only; if in a nuclear gene, it depends on the gene and is not restricted to maternal inheritance
I've been researching Mito for some time now since I always felt that he had this disease. The closest I can come to a specific diagnosis is NARP and Leigh's Disease.
NARP: Neuropathy, ataxia and retinitis pigmentosa
Onset: Infancy or childhood
Disease characteristics: May cause vision problems, lack of coordination and mental retardation. This syndrome may represent a less severe form of MILS.
Leigh's syndrome: Subacute necrotizing encephalomyopathy
Onset: Infancy; progression can be fast or slow.
Disease characteristics: May cause brain abnormalities, vomiting, seizures, feeding difficulties, heart problems, epilepsy, speech difficulties and muscle weakness.
I'll list some links that have important information for Mito and chILD.

3 comments:

Luvmy4kids said...

Hey Leslie :) It is me Leslie from the MCLG boards.....I have you linked to my blog,which is mostly about Lizzy......Anyway I have just finished reading about Mitochondrial Disease and have learned so much about it.....Nathan was a strong lil man to have to carry that burden. You must be so very proud of him. I hope you keep the blog updated, I know it is hard but writing about Lizzy helps for me.....Big hugs and much love-

Leslie/Lizzy's Mom Forever

Anonymous said...

Leslie - I wanted to tell you that I was so overwhelmed by your page for your precious Nate the Great (I love that!). I work at a school for special kids and have observed many different physical and mental challenges that children have to go through. What a blessing that Nate had such loving and caring people in his short little life and how amazing that must have made him feel. Thank you for sharing Nate's story. Blessings! Cheri - twoinheaven

My City Mommy said...

Thank you for the comment you left about Nate today. I cry every time I try to read it but I am so happy that you are who you are and that you are paying tribute to a beautiful life. Thank you so much and have a very Merry Christmas.

Kim